Ready to take the next step in your wildlife career?
Are you motivated, passionate and have strong leadership skills?
Wildlife Habitat Port Douglas is seeking a motivated Senior Keeper: Reptiles, to assist the wildlife team leader in ensuring the smooth day to day operations of our wildlife department. The successful applicant will demonstrate a sound knowledge in all aspects of animal husbandry, have strong interpersonal leadership skills, be able to lead by example, and assist in guiding and growing a team working with Australian wildlife. The role may include coordination of our International Volunteer program and team. If you are experienced, committed, and driven, with a passion for our native fauna, then we want to hear from you.
Your application should include your resume plus a brief cover letter stating how you meet the Selection Criteria.
• Minimum Cert III or IV in Captive animal Management or equivalent . Minimum 3 years paid professional experience in working with reptiles in a zoological park or related institution.
• Prior herpetofauna experience and a familiarity with the natural history and behaviour of reptiles.
• Excellent Presentation/show skills, accompanied with a high standard of personal presentation. Able to deliver high standards of customer service within a busy work environment in a friendly professional manner.
• Perform daily husbandry for a diverse collection of Herpetofauna, utilising evidence-based husbandry practices to ensure optimal health and welfare of wildlife.
• Proven experience working with crocodilians 4+meters.
• Maintain exhibits, service areas, husbandry equipment, tools and life support systems.
• Possess exceptional observation, husbandry and time management skills, with the ability to problem solve and effectively communicate with senior management
• Closely monitor and document animal behaviour, health and welfare, reporting irregularities immediately and maintain detailed, accurate records.
• Skills to develop and provide enrichment to promote natural behaviours and optimum welfare & provide operant conditioning for husbandry and medical management purposes.
• Experience supervising, guiding, growing and training team /junior keepers/ volunteers/trainee keepers, following all policy and procedures.
• We are a 7 day a week operation. Full availability required over weekends and school holiday periods is essential.
• Manual drivers licence essential.
• Experience working with ZIMs.
• Venomous snake handling , not essential, but advantageous.
• Experience ordering supplies and stock management
• Current First Aid qualifications would be an advantage.
• Appropriate fitness to walk long distances, stand for long periods and ability to carry / support up to 10kg for a prolonged period.
Applications close 5th June 2023
Join the CaPTA Group and become part of the large family we have across our multiple businesses!
If this sounds like the perfect role for you, please send a cover letter and resume to [email protected]
Check us out at: https://www.capta.com.au/