Location: Perth Zoo (South Perth), Western Australia
Salary: $130,692 - $139,705 p.a. (Specified Calling Level 4) plus 10.5% Superannuation
Tenure: Permanent, Full-time
Ref: Position No. ZPA3151761
Under the limited supervision and direction of the Director Life Sciences:
• Provides management and leadership to Perth Zoo’s animal health program, including management of the veterinary hospital and staff, allocation of departmental budget and other resources, veterinary involvement in research and conservation programs and projects, as well as strategic oversight of undergraduate and postgraduate student training.
• Develops and manages relationships and partnerships within the zoo and with external parties, including within the broader DBCA.
• Aligns day to day operations with agreed strategies.
• Provides overall clinical leadership and oversight to the zoo’s veterinary program.
This position may be required to work on a rostered basis on weekends and public holidays.
The successful applicant will be required to possess or obtain a current National Police Check and complete a pre-employment medical and preventative vaccination program prior to commencement.
To allow the selection panel to make an accurate assessment of your application, please submit the following:
• A covering letter.
• A written response addressing the four (4) requested criteria below (in no more than three (3) pages).
• A current resume.
1. Significant demonstrated clinical experience in the provision of veterinary care for wild animals in a zoo or similar environment, including medicine, surgery, disease investigation and chemical restraint of a range of species. It is expected that candidates are residency trained or accumulated experience to the level of board eligibility by the European or American College of Zoological Medicine or equivalent.
2. Demonstrated experience in leadership and management, ability to develop, mentor and support a clinical veterinary team, and highly developed written and verbal communication skills.
3. Significant demonstrated knowledge of animal husbandry and management practices as it relates to wild animal care in a zoo or similar environment, including breeding, nutrition, biosecurity, animal housing and enclosure design.
4. Demonstrated experience and skills in driving research, conservation and/or other collaborative partnerships.
Please click “Apply Now” and you will be redirected to the WA Government Jobs Board website at https://search.jobs.wa.gov.au/ where you can submit your application online.
For further information about Perth Zoo, please visit https://perthzoo.wa.gov.au/
For further job-related information, please contact Dr Matyas Liptovszky on +61 8 9474 0335.
Closing date: Monday, 1 May 2023 at 12 noon AWST (2pm AEDT). No late or pro forma applications will be accepted.