Billabong Sanctuary, Townsville
Billabong Sanctuary is a privately owned and managed wildlife park, established in 1985 and operated by the present owners for the past 33 years.
Billabong Sanctuary is customer focused, delivering the best interactive wildlife experience in Australia. It is an Animal Welfare Accredited member of ZAA. The Sanctuary has Advanced Accreditation with Ecotourism Australia and is involved in captive breeding programmes for endangered species including the southern cassowary and the greater bilby.
We pride ourselves on our family culture where staff members are valued, supported and empowered to contribute, and where high performance and innovation are encouraged.
About the role
Billabong Sanctuary has an exciting opportunity available for an experienced zookeeper to head our bird department. As head of the department, you will be responsible to ensure the health and well-being of the birds in your care.
This position also entails managing the free-flight bird show.
- Knowledge of husbandry requirements of Australian birds
- Undertake daily cleaning and regular maintenance of aviaries and enclosures
- Meet the dietary requirements of all birds
- Maintain accurate records
- Demonstrated ability in safe capture and restraint techniques to enable health checks on a vast array of avian species, including raptors
- Undertake bird enrichment programmes
- Supervise successful breeding programmes of birds including the southern cassowary
- Demonstrated ability and extensive knowledge of operant conditioning training of birds. Free flight training is highly desirable.
- Train staff to back-up and take the lead in the daily free-flight bird shows
- Share Australian fauna presentations with other staff including specialised tours and school groups.
To succeed in this role, you will need:
- Minimum 3 years in a similarly paid role
- Strong communication skills for delivering interpretative talks
- 7 day a week availability including weekends, public holidays and school holidays
- Applicant must be fit for physical work, enthusiastic, mature-minded, confident, well presented and able to demonstrate a high level of work ethic and initiative
- Manual drivers licence – own transport essential
- Current first aid certificate, blue card and Q-fever vaccination
What we offer:
- Billabong Sanctuary recognises the importance of diversity in the workplace with the opportunity to experience working with a wide range of Australian native fauna
- A workplace that promotes our core brand values to our customers, employees and fauna
- A workplace that believes Zero Harm is achievable and continuously strives to achieve this goal.
Email your resume and a separate covering letter outlining how you meet the above criteria to the director: email@example.com