TO LEAD AUSTRALASIAN ZOOS & AQUARIUMS TO WORK TOGETHER TO SAVE WILDLIFE
TO INSPIRE BEST PRACTICE IN CONSERVATION & WELFARE WITH SUPPORT FROM GOVERNMENT & COMMUNITY
Why do we have our Association?
The Zoo and Aquarium Association Australasia advances the success of our members, who share their passion for animals, the environment and conservation. The Association works cooperatively to build quality zoos, aquariums and wildlife parks.
In order to create the most effective operating environment for the zoo and aquarium community, for the lasting benefit of all members, the Zoo and Aquarium Association Australasia aims to:
- Bring the members together to act as one to achieve a collective purpose;
- Represent member organisations in the region as one;
- Serve member needs in the interest of all zoos, aquariums and wildlife parks;
- Provide species management services to support members’ collections;
- Provide opportunities for members to share knowledge in the interest of effective zoo and aquarium based field conservation, scientific and veterinary research and visitor engagement activities;
- Build capacity by developing our people;
- Maintain and develop professional standards for members; and
- Promote the work of members regionally and internationally.
The Association supports members by:
- Safeguarding and developing the reputation of the industry with stakeholders and community;
- Ensuring we speak with one credible voice through influential advocacy and representation for our members;
- Facilitating cooperative species management to ensure the zoo and aquarium animal populations are sustainable and maximise opportunities to partner with Government and other NGOs on habitat and species recovery initiatives;
- Having agreed standards to grow professionalism and improve;
- Working with government agencies to ensure that industry requirements are considered in legislation, regulation, policy and practice; to ensure the ongoing relevance and sustainability of zoos and aquariums
- Encouraging members to engage with and support each other by sharing knowledge; and
- Listening to members and responding accordingly by delivering valued services and member benefits.