Melbourne Zoo, October 31st -November 2nd 2017
This forum is designed to introduce participants to the field of animal ethics and provide them with a solid background in animal behaviour and welfare science. Participants will also learn about the tools required to apply this knowledge to address the challenges associated with captivity and ultimately improve the welfare of the animals in their care.
The forum will cover ethical decision making in zoos and social licence, foundational principles in animal behaviour and welfare science, evaluation of factors that can influence welfare in the zoo environment, how to conduct welfare assessments and sampling and interpretation of animal behaviour. The forum will be compromised of lectures, discussions, group projects and hands-on exercises in the zoo.
- Professor Terry Maple – Behavioural Scientist
- Dr Sally Sherwen – Zoos Victoria Animal Welfare Specialist
- Dr Jenny Grey – CEO of Zoos Victoria and President of WAZA
- Sabrina Brando – Animal Welfare Co-ordinator, WAZA
- Jon Coe – Creator of Jon Coe Design Pty Ltd
- Dr Theresa Jones – University of Melbourne
Registration is $500 per person and includes course materials, vegetarian lunch and snacks on all three days. Please email your expression of interest to Sally Sherwen at firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information see the Future of Zoo Animal Welfare Flyer