Thank you for your interest in the above position. The following information will assist you in completing the application process. Please note, this is for a senior keeper position and therefore we are looking for a highly experienced animal keeper.
Orana Wildlife Park:
Set in 80 hectares, Orana Wildlife Park is New Zealand’s only open range zoo. The Park is home to 400 animals representing over 70 different species; the focus of our collection is New Zealand native fauna and African savannah life. In 2015, Orana completed the biggest project in its history – a $6M Great Ape Centre that is home to New Zealand’s only gorillas and orang-utans! Orana is currently part way through an exciting development plan for the Park. Operated as a charitable trust, Orana fulfils an important role in managed, zoo-based breeding programmes for the species we hold.
We have a fantastic opportunity for a suitably skilled person to join our dedicated team. We are seeking to employ an experienced Senior Primate/Great Ape keeper. You will need to be a highly driven and energetic individual with a passion for wildlife.
The ideal applicant will possess the following skills and attributes:
- A minimum of five years primate and/or great ape husbandry experience in a zoo setting.
- Experience in nutritional planning, breeding plans and/or exhibit design is considered an advantage
- Proven ability to supervise and train other keeping staff.
- A mature attitude and a team player.
- Good communication skills, with a professional approach towards visitors and colleagues.
- A high level of physical fitness.
- A qualification in zoo keeping (or similar) would be considered an advantage.
Duties will include:
- Providing daily care and welfare for the Park’s primates, including Gorillas, Orang-utans, Gibbons, New World Monkeys and Lemurs.
- Training of other primate keepers.
- Involvement in zoo-based breeding programmes for these threatened species.
- Designing and implementing behavioural enrichment programmes.
- Carrying out animal conditioning programmes for health checks.
- Conducting fun, informative presentations to educate visitors on the plight of fauna.
- Animal observation and record keeping.
- Maintaining animal enclosures and exhibits.
- Implementing the organisation’s Health and Safety and Safe Operating Procedures.
The working week for each position is to be determined and will involve working full time, 40 hours per week. Hours of work are 8:30am to 5:00pm. Salary will be in accordance with skills and experience. If you wish to apply, then we invite you to request an application pack by telephone (03 359 7109) or email (email@example.com). All applications must be submitted on the official application form included in the pack by 5 pm, Monday 12th February 2018. Applications can be posted to: Orana Wildlife Park, PO Box 5130, Christchurch 8542, or emailed to us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be reviewed as they are received.