Full Time Position
Shoalhaven Zoo is a family owned business operating on the South Coast of NSW displaying a mix of exotic and native animals.
We are currently seeking a new Presenter to join our team. This person will be the Senior Keeper of our Mobile Zoo unit. Their main responsibility will be running the Mobile Zoo program and increasing its audience, during which this person will also undertake days on site at the zoo as a regular keeper.
To be our Senior Mobile Zoo Presenter and Keeper
You are a team player, who is willing to assist with other roles within the park as required. This is a physically demanding role, therefore a high level of energy and physical fitness is required to perform manual handling tasks and other physical duties.
You are committed to a career in zoo keeping and presenting. We are looking for someone who wants to makes a long term commitment to a career based position.
Extensive animal experience is not essential, what is more important is an ability to perform, confidence and a bright and bubbly personality. This is a performing role, which is required to entertain children of all ages as well as adults, in groups large and small.
The purpose of this role is to run the current Mobile Zoo program. This position would suit a self-motivated individual. This is a great opportunity for the right candidate to influence the direction and shape of our Mobile Zoo program, with the potential for greater earnings or commissions to be made with the expansion of the program.
During the week this person would be required to complete days as a regular keeper within the zoo working under the direction of the supervising keeper for that section.
- Presenting education based programs to schools and pre schools
- Presenting educational displays
- Hosting children’s parties
- Delivering outstanding experiences through the delivery of up close animal encounters
- Representing the zoo
- Being responsible for the welfare of the animals in your care and the safety of animals and public members
- Animal handling and husbandry duties are included as well as record keeping and report writing
- Minimum 1-2yrs animal husbandry experience
- Certificate III in Captive Animals or equivalent experience
- You are well organised with a strong understanding of time management
- Must have a current manual Driver License and current working with Children’s check
- A current First Aid certificate and ability to maintain it
- The ideal applicant will demonstrate outstanding communication and public speaking skills, a friendly and outgoing personality as well as a high standard of personal presentation.
- An ability to quickly adapt to a fast paced environment, with a focus on maintaining high safety standards for all animals and public
- Proactive and highly motivated individual
- Flexibility with working hours across a 7-day roster is essential as weekend, public holiday, school holiday and night work will be involved.
- Formal qualifications in education will be highly regarded
- Experience in animal handling, transport, conditioning and a good general knowledge is desirable but not essential
Please include CV and cover letter outlining your suitability for the role and email your application to:
Applications close end of business 23rd August 2019
Applicants that are contacted for interviews must be available to interview onsite and may be asked for an impromptu presentation.