Here at Oakvale we are committed to providing exciting conservation initiatives through education, research programs and through our growing threatened and endangered species breeding programs as well as through our recently launched ‘Save Our Wildlife’ Program.
The right applicant will possess a professional and positive approach, the right personality to fit with our team coupled with the passion and knowledge to make improvements to the department.
Oakvale is heading in an exciting new direction and this newly created, full time position is part of the restructuring here at the park. The aim of this position is to bring further growth and development to the department and to assist the Curator and Management throughout the process.
- Possess sound knowledge and understanding of the animal husbandry related practices, including capture and restraint, dietary requirements, reproduction etc. relating to the species kept in the Reptile/Bird Department at Oakvale. Species such as a wide variety of Pythons, Lizards, Monitors, various species of Crocodilian and Australian coastal birds and parrots.
- Experience working with exotic reptiles will be advantageous.
- Exceptional knowledge and experience in positive animal training techniques, conditioning & enrichment.
- Excellent communication skills
- Strong customer service skills
- An ability to prioritize workloads and instruct staff and volunteers to reflect those priorities.
- WHS awareness and the ability to identify safety concerns in the workplace.
- Possess a good understanding of Microsoft word, excel and power point.
- Exceptional presentation and public speaking skills.
- Sound time management skills.
- A flexible, positive and professional attitude.
- A passion to grow and develop a Department within a zoological institution.
- A drive for educating others on the importance of high husbandry standards.
- A minimum of 3 years’ experience in the industry or in a similar role.
- A minimum of Certificate III in Captive Animals or equivalent university studies.
- Holding a Certificate IV in Captive Animals or the capacity to undertake studies will be highly regarded.
Please forward your cover letter and resume highlighting the necessary skills and knowledge outlined in the selection criteria as well as the attached position description to email@example.com
Applications close: Monday 12th November 2018