Life Sciences – Adelaide Zoo
At Adelaide and Monarto Zoo, we’re proud to welcome more than half a million people through our gates each year and we’re not slowing down. With the roll out of our 20-Year Master Plan and a number of exciting projects on the horizon, we’re thrilled to be expanding and evolving our workforce to position us for continued growth into the future.
ABOUT THE ROLE…
Due to the upgrade and expansion of our children’s zoo and presenting team Zoos SA are seeking an individual with animal husbandry experience, animal training awareness and presentation skills to work at our Adelaide Zoo site. The successful applicant will be responsible for daily duties and will have proven husbandry experience with native and domestic animals, reptiles fish and invertebrates. Skills and experience with a wide range of taxa would be advantageous due to the diversity of animals in this section.
Being part of the nature theatre you must have the ability to develop, write and deliver imaginative show concepts, storyboards and scripts in conjunction with the manager. You must have an engaging enthusiastic style in connecting with visitors in a fun, educational and entertaining manner.
As this is a senior keeper role you must be able to work under minimal supervision and direction and within specified guidelines.
As part of our Life Sciences management team, day to day tasks may include:
- To be considered for this position you will need to meet the following selection criteria:
- Minimum of Certificate III in Captive Animals or other relevant and acceptable Zoo Keeping qualification at a senior level
- The ability to effectively manage keeping staff, section goals and animal programmes under the guidance of the assistant manager
- High level of communication and interpersonal skills with external stakeholders, peers, staff, volunteers and the public with the ability to write and deliver presentations which are engaging, clear, dynamic and imaginative
- Experience supporting management to oversee the animal husbandry, training and welfare standards and related protocols and advice.
- You must love people and be able to tailor presentations to meet the needs of your audience.
HOW TO APPLY…
Please complete the requested work history & education information on the application page, attach your resume and any certificates in the education section. This will assist us in assessing your suitability for this role.
If you have a strong passion in animal welfare, species conservation, and an eagerness to support the operation of a major zoo’s children’s zoo and nature theatre, we would love to hear from you!