Set in 80 hectares, Orana Wildlife Park is New Zealand’s only open range zoo. The Park is home to 400 animals representing over 70 different species; the focus of our collection is New Zealand native fauna and African savannah life. In 2015 Orana completed the biggest project in its history – a $6M Great Ape Centre that is home to New Zealand’s only gorillas and orang-utans! Orana is currently part way through an exciting development plan for the Park. Operated as a charitable trust, Orana fulfils an important role in managed, zoo-based breeding programmes for the species we hold.
We have a fantastic opportunity for a suitably skilled person to join our dedicated team. We are seeking to employ an experienced senior exotic animal keeper. You will need to be a highly driven and energetic individual with a passion for wildlife.
The ideal applicant will possess the following skills and attributes:
- A minimum of five years animal husbandry experience in a zoo setting.
- Experience in nutritional planning, breeding plans and/or exhibit design is considered an advantage.
- Proven ability to supervise and train other keeping staff.
- A mature attitude and be a team player.
- Good communication, with a professional approach to visitors.
- A high level of physical fitness (heavy lifting will be required) and an ability to do repetitive tasks.
- A qualification in zoo keeping (or similar) would be considered an advantage.
- Experience with large carnivores and/or great apes is highly desirable.
- Good practical and maintenance skills.
Duties will include:
- Providing daily care and welfare to a variety of animals.
- Supervision of other animal keepers and work experience students.
- Involvement in zoo-based breeding programmes for threatened species.
- Implementing behavioural enrichment programmes.
- Conducting fun, informative presentations to educate visitors on the plight of fauna.
- Take part in pest control programmes.
- Animal observation and record keeping.
- Maintaining animal enclosures and exhibits.
- Implementing the organisation’s Health and Safety and Safe Operating Procedures.
The working week for the position is to be determined and will involve working full time, 40 hours per week. Hours of work are 8:30am to 5:00pm. Salary will be in accordance with skills and experience. If you wish to apply, then we invite you to request an application pack by telephone (03 359 7109) or email (email@example.com).
All applications must be submitted on the official application form included in the pack by 5 pm, Monday 20th August 2018.
Applications can be posted to: Orana Wildlife Park, PO Box 5130, Christchurch 8542, or emailed to us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be reviewed as they are received.