Employment status – Permanent – Full Time & Part Time Positions
At Adelaide and Monarto Zoo, we’re proud to welcome more than half a million people through our gates each year and we’re not slowing down. With the roll out of our 20-Year Master Plan and a number of exciting projects on the horizon, we’re thrilled to be expanding and evolving our workforce to position us for continued growth into the future.
ABOUT THE ROLE…
The Life Sciences department at Adelaide Zoo currently require two experienced, motivated and enthusiastic primate keepers to join the team. These are permanent roles, one 1.0 FTE and the other 0.5 FTE, which will be required to work over a 7 day roster.
The successful candidates will be guided by Zoos SA’s values and work together with the keeping teams to achieve the goals set out in the Strategic and Business Plans. In addition they will, under general supervision and within specified guidelines, perform all keeping duties in a safe, efficient and effective manner. Previous experience working with Primates is required.
As part of our Life Sciences team, day to day tasks may include:
- Provide the highest level of animal husbandry standards to the primate collection
- Undertake Keeper presentations and guest interactions on encounters and behind-the-scenes tours to help deliver our conversation messaging
- Obtain, prepare and provide food to animals in accordance with established diets, feeding schedules and procedures.
- Clean food and water vessels, holding areas, exhibits and food preparation and storage areas to required standards, ensure animal areas are maintained free of debris and hazardous materials.
- Provide animals with nesting and bedding materials and other items required to meet their behavioural requirements
- Observe and report on animal behaviour and changes to the condition of animals.
- Maintain diaries and animal records and report matters of interest to the Senior Keeper.
- Participating in the implementation and monitoring of behavioural enrichment and training and conditioning programs in a positive nature to affect animal behaviour and allow routine examinations and procedures without distress
- Working consistently in accordance with established safety procedures to ensure animal security, personal safety, protection of coworkers and the public.
- Working in line with relevant Policy and Procedures/Standard Operating Procedures and providing feedback and proactive suggestions for change as required.
To be considered for this position you will need to meet the following selection criteria:
- Have or be working towards Certificate III in Captive Animals or other relevant and acceptable Zoo Keeping experience.
- Proven experience in a practical animal related role, specifically with primates &/or Carnivores.
- Have excellent communication skills as well as the ability to work well within a team and independently are essential.
- Knowledge and understanding of Workplace Health & Safety principles and process.
- Ability to deliver informative and engaging presentations that relay our conservation messaging.
- High level of interpersonal skills and ability to engage with peers, staff, volunteers and the public.
HOW TO APPLY…
Please complete the requested work history & education information on the application page, attach your resume and any certificates in the education section. This will assist us in assessing your suitability for this role.
If you have a strong passion in animal welfare, species conservation, and an eagerness to support the operation of a major zoo’s primate team, we would love to hear from you!