Brooklands Zoo located in New Plymouth, Taranaki is a free, family-focused zoo that is home to a diverse variety of species and attracts over 113,000 visitors annually. We are an Accredited ZAA facility operated by New Plymouth District Council. In Taranaki it’s easy to achieve an enviable lifestyle without having to compromise your career. Our regions’ dynamic surf, multitude of parks and gardens, iconic walkways, major events calendar and mountain playground make this the place to live!
A rare opportunity has arisen for a qualified and experienced Keeper to join our dedicated team at Brooklands Zoo to maintain the exotic mammals section on a full-time, permanent basis.
To be successful in this role you will need the following:
- A recognised animal husbandry qualification such as the Unitec CAM-CWA or equivalent
- A minimum of two to three years current employment experience in an accredited zoo, specifically exotic mammals
- A good understanding of animal welfare requirements, enrichment and positive reinforcement training
- A track record of innovative husbandry including experience with habitat design and upgrades
- The ability to communicate with all types of people with experience in visitor engagement
- An energetic and self-motivated approach to your work including excellent time management skills
- Strong initiative and a forward planning approach to project management
- You will commit to ensuring a safe and enjoyable environment for animals, staff and zoo visitors
- A current driver’s licence for a manual vehicle.
We are open year round so you will need to be available to work some weekends and public holidays as rostered.
At the New Plymouth District Council we aim to create and sustain a truly rewarding workplace environment for our staff. You can expect to start in this role between $45,545 – $49,505. We have put together an integrated Total Rewards Framework that spans Wellbeing, Development, Benefits, Culture and Recognition. The NPDC Total Rewards Framework provides a diverse range of opportunities and benefits for our staff.
If you have the necessary qualifications, are able to legally work within New Zealand and have great practical zoo experience to keep our animals, visitors and team thriving then we would love to hear from you!
This position is deemed a safety sensitive position and will require pre-employment drug testing and a pre-medical assessment.
New Plymouth District Council is committed to the protection and wellbeing of children. A component of this role involves interaction with children so, as a part of the assessment of candidates, we will require Police Vetting of candidates to ensure we are providing a safe environment for children. This requirement complies with the Vulnerable Children Act.
Applications close Wednesday, 3 October 2018.