- Ongoing Full-Time
- Based at Healesville Sanctuary
- $117,206 per annum + 9.5% superannuation
Zoos Victoria operates three landmark zoos, Healesville Sanctuary, Melbourne Zoo and Werribee Open Range Zoo. Victoria’s zoos are made up of passionate, energetic and driven employees committed to fighting wildlife extinction. Every person, from the extensive range of disciplines, plays an important role in helping the organisation realise its vision to become a world leading zoo-based conservation organisation.
An opportunity has arisen to join Zoos Victoria in the role of General Manager, Life Sciences to be based at Healesville Sanctuary. The role will be vital in developing and implementing a professional animal species plan and program that will deliver the highest levels of animal health, management and welfare. The position must also provide superior leadership direction and support for the senior Life Sciences Team.
- A tertiary degree in zoology or a related discipline
- Extensive experience in the care and management of captive wild animals across a range of animal groups but preferably Australian wildlife
- Experience in best practise animal husbandry, welfare, training and enrichment
- Extensive experience in leading a large, complex and dynamic workforce to safely deliver essential animal and visitor services 365 days each year
- Experience in managing complex budgets, regulatory and administrative tasks and achieving excellent governance standards
- Proven experience in leading a team to develop innovative exhibits, visitor experiences and presentation programs
- Experience in participating in recovery programs for threatened species including science based adaptive management to achieve specific objectives for both wild and captive populations
- Experience in the management of wildlife health issues in a captive collection and the treatment and rehabilitation of injured wildlife
- The ability to lead teams to scope, plan and deliver projects on time and within budget
- Proven ability to lead teams through change, and develop a commitment to continually improve what we do
- Strong analytical skills and the ability to identify and solve problems preferably using Lean tools
- Demonstrated capacity to make strong decisions to achieve organisational objectives using the best information available
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills to develop and maintain good productive relationships with colleagues, volunteers, visitors and other external stakeholders
A key objective of the General Manager Life Sciences position is to deliver the highest levels of animal health, management and welfare is. As a member of the property Senior Management Team the GM LS is the leading strategist and ensures that conservation goals are integrated into animal management priorities and practices.
In addition this position represents the Life Sciences team in planning new exhibits, conservation projects, and introducing education programs that increase public understanding of wildlife and wildlife conservation.
To apply, please submit a maximum two page cover letter addressing the position requires and resume. Application link and position can be found through our website www.zoo.org.au/hr
If you have any questions about this role, please contact Ross Williamson on 03 5957 2801.
Applications close 5pm Friday 26th July 2019.