Billabong Sanctuary, Townsville
Billabong Sanctuary is a privately owned and managed wildlife park being established and operated by the present owners for 33 years.
Billabong Sanctuary is customer focused, delivering the best interactive wildlife experience in Australia. The Sanctuary has Advanced Accreditation with the Eco Tourism Association and is involved in captive breeding programmes for endangered species.
We pride ourselves on our family culture where you are valued, supported and empowered to contribute, and where high performance and innovation is encouraged.
About the role
Billabong Sanctuary has an exciting opportunity available for a keeper with documented and proven experience with estuarine crocodiles or a keeper with basic skills who wishes to further develop their skills working with crocodiles greater than 4 meters.
Experience will be gained in capture and restraining of crocodiles and breeding / nesting of both freshwater and estuarine crocodiles.
Experience with venomous snakes would be an advantage.
- The position will involve working with not only reptiles but with mammals and avian species
- undertake cleaning and maintenance of the animal enclosures as required along with meeting feeding requirements for Billabong’s collection of mammals, birds, reptiles
- conduct animal health checks
- undertake animal enrichment programs
- knowledge of basic husbandry requirements for a wide array of Australian fauna
- shared fauna presentations with other staff
To succeed in this role, you will need:
- the utmost regard to safety and strict adherence to procedures and protocols.
- strong communication skills with your interpretative talks
- 7 day a week availability including weekends, public holidays and school holidays
- applicant must be fit for physical work, enthusiastic, mature-minded, confident, well presented and able to demonstrate a high level of work ethic and initiative
- manual drivers’ licence – own transport essential
- current first aid certificate, blue card and Q fever vaccination
What we offer:
- Billabong Sanctuary recognises the importance of diversity with the opportunity to experience working with a wide range of Australian native fauna
- A workplace that promotes our core brand values to our customers, employees and fauna
- A workplace that believes Zero Harm is achievable and continuously strives to achieve this goal.
In your application, address how you meet the above criteria and your suitability for the role through your experience of working with crocodiles. Also include your resume.
Email to the director:
Applications close 14th December, 2018