Department: Native Mammals
Australia Zoo has an exciting opportunity available for an experienced Zoo Keeper.
As an experienced Zoo Keeper, you have primary responsibility for ensuring the care and wellbeing of the animals under your attendance. You must also be understanding and sensitive to the needs of the animals under your care. You are also responsible for the animals’ exhibits, dietary requirements, maintenance, landscaping and presenting at daily demonstrations where applicable. Australia Zoo expects all employees to be dedicated to conservation issues and animal welfare.
At Australia Zoo, Keepers’ continually work towards providing improved facilities and care for their animals. They do this with enthusiasm and motivation toward their individual learning and training along with an inclusive attitude for their team development.
- A minimum of 3 years’ paid experience in a similar role
- Strong observation and communication skills
- 7 day a week availability including Weekends, Public Holidays and School Holidays
- Applicants must be fit for physical work, enthusiastic, mature-minded, confident, well-presented and able to demonstrate a high level of work-ethic and initiative
- Manual Drivers Licence
- Own transport essential
- The care and well being of animals in a section including formal animal health checks
- Participate in training and conditioning programs for animals
- Maintain records of observations and reports on animal behaviour and/or breeding.
- Undertake cleaning and maintenance of the animal enclosures as required.
- Conduct environment and enclosure safety checks.
- Undertake hands on care of animals.
- Undertake animal enrichment programs.
- Provide a high level of customer service at all times.
- Undertake public speaking and/or delivery of demonstrations.
- Ensure knowledge of all relevant conservation programs Australia Zoo contributes to.
- Take responsibility for skill development and progression / training sign off.
- Work within guidelines if health and safety procedures to ensure security of animals, staff and guests
- Commitment to Australia Zoo confidentiality and privacy policies
- Participate in performance training and development reviews as requested by the company both on and off the job.
- Attend meetings as requested by your Supervisor/HOD.
- Other duties as requested by your Supervisor/HOD, Curators or Zoo Director.
Please email a current resume and a covering letter outlining your ability to meet the above selection criteria to Lisa McConnell, Recruitment Coordinator to firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications must be received by COB 29/07/2018