Senior Animal Keeper and Animal Keeper positions available
Set in 80 hectares, Orana Wildlife Park is New Zealand’s only open range zoo. The Park is home to 400 animals representing over 70 different species; the focus of our collection is New Zealand native fauna and African savannah life. In 2015 Orana completed the biggest project in its history – a $6M Great Ape Centre that is home to New Zealand’s only gorillas and orang-utans! Orana is currently part way through an exciting development plan for the Park. Operated as a charitable trust, Orana fulfils an important role in managed, zoo-based breeding programmes for the species we hold
We are seeking to employ two experienced great ape keepers to join our dedicated team. You will need to be a highly driven and energetic individual with a passion for wildlife.
The ideal applicants will possess the following skills and attributes:
- Experience caring for great ape species (expertise in gorilla and orang-utan care is highly desirable).
- A mature attitude and team player.
- Good communication, with a professional approach to visitors.
- A qualification in zoo keeping (or similar) would be considered an advantage.
Senior Great Ape Keeper:
- A minimum of five years animal husbandry experience in a zoo setting.
- Proven ability to supervise and train other keeping staff.
- Experience in nutritional planning, breeding plans, introductions and/or exhibit design.
Great Ape Keeper:
- A minimum of two years animal husbandry experience.
Duties will include:
- Providing daily care and welfare to a variety of animals including Gorillas and Siamang Gibbons.
- Involvement in zoo-based breeding programmes.
- Implementing behavioural enrichment programmes.
- Training and conditioning for health checks.
- Conducting fun, informative presentations to educate visitors on the plight of fauna.
- Animal observations and record keeping.
- Maintaining animal enclosures and exhibits.
- Implementing the organisation’s Health and Safety and Safe Operating Procedures.
Senior Great Ape Keeper:
- Supervision of other animal keepers and work experience students.
The working week for each position is to be determined and will involve working full time, 40 hours per week. Hours of work are 8:30am to 5:00pm. Salary will be in accordance with skills and experience.
If you wish to apply, then we invite you to request an application pack by telephone (03 359 7109) or email (firstname.lastname@example.org). All applications must be submitted on the official application form included in the pack and will be reviewed as they are received. Applications can be posted to: Orana Wildlife Park, PO Box 5130, Christchurch 8542, or emailedto us at email@example.com.