Maru Koala and Animal Park is a family run business in Grantville, southern Victoria near Phillip Island, that includes a ZAA accredited animal park, mini-golf, restaurant and retail areas.
We have a vacancy for an experienced animal keeper to fill a 12 month position whilst a keeper is off on pregnancy leave. The successful applicant will be outgoing, have an eye for detail and enthusiastic and passionate about wildlife, educating and interacting with our visitors. Due to the continual growth of our business, if the employee shows sound skills then further employment beyond the initial 12 month contract is likely.
Basic daily tasks involve animal husbandry, enclosure cleaning and maintenance for a range of native animals, guided tours and keeper presentations and professional photography with the animals and guests. Keepers that can demonstrate knowledge and experience working with captive koalas, including browse collection, general husbandry and breeding programs would be an advantage. You will need to be well presented, articulate, confident at public speaking and enjoy giving keeper presentations on a daily basis.
At Maru we offer visitors an interactive and memorable experience, through which we aim to deliver an appreciation for conservation of wildlife and their environment can be fostered. Experience in condition training animals would be an advantage. Maru encourages staff development and would support the right applicant in furthering their education and skills.
Flexibility with working hours is essential and weekend, school and public holiday work is expected on a two-week rotational roster, at above award wages.
To be considered for this position you will need to meet the following selection criteria:
- Obtained or currently studying Certificate III in Captive Animal Management and/or a relevant
- Minimum of 1 years previous experience under employment in a Wildlife park/Zoo
- Strong knowledge of the captive management/husbandry of native Australian animals
- Applicants should have a high level of professionalism and excellence in their customer service,
presentation skills and an understanding of the tourism industry.
- Must be self-motivated, organized and possess strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Have an understanding of the Z.A.A. accreditation program framework including the Five Welfare
- Must be physically fit and able to work in adverse weather conditions.
- A Current Driver’s license
- A Working with Children Check
- Must be able to attend in person if chosen for an interview
Apply with your cover letter and resume to:
The Animal Park Manager
Position is available now