Oakvale Wildlife Park is a privately owned and managed wildlife park, established in 1979 it has remained family owned and operated for 40 years. Oakvale is situated on 25 acres of open bushland in beautiful Port Stephens.
Oakvale Wildlife Park is committed to providing exciting family recreation and animal education through a unique interactive hands-on experience. Providing a memorable experience to its customers whilst leading the way in exceptional animal welfare standards and strong conservation initiatives.
Oakvale are an Animal Welfare Accredited member of ZAA, Accredited with Ecotourism Australia and have won bronze for NSW Tourism’s Best Tourist Attraction for the last two years. Oakvale have seen a steep growth in visitation in the last few years and continues to embark on a significant 5 stage Master Plan.
Great pride is taken on our unified culture where staff members are valued, supported and encouraged to reach for new heights in their career.
About the role
Oakvale Wildlife Park has an exciting opportunity available for an experienced curator to head the Animal Care Department. As curator, you will be responsible for overseeing the Animal Care Team and a diverse animal collection.
You will be required to:
- Prioritise and coordinate daily operations of the animal care unit including guest experiences, animal welfare and staff management.
- Liaising with Management, Senior Keepers and keeper staff to deliver on operational objectives.
- Deliver exceptional animal welfare outcomes including husbandry routines, animal conditioning, diets, captive breeding programs, managerial operations, environmental enrichment and supporting veterinary intervention as required.
- Conduct all duties in accordance with a sound understanding of core business principals and direction.
- Conduct staff management including training, performance reviews and coaching to ensure a well-functioning harmonious and productive team is maintained and fostered.
- Demonstrate exceptional time management skills that optimise the use of limited resources and provide an example to staff and colleagues.
- Demonstrate exceptional personal and park grounds presentation to showcase Oakvale Wildlife Park as a premier destination.
- Ensure Workplace Health and Safety standards are maintained and improved upon to ensure a safe and healthy working environment.
- Conduct various administrative duties as required including Human Resource records, preparing reports for executive meetings, DPI and DAWR applications to support the existing administration team.
- Contribute to and drive ideas and suggestions for product development, new customer experiences, conservation initiatives, enclosure designs, staff development and media opportunities to grow Oakvale’s profitability, reputation and strength.
- Conduct all communications in a clear, honest and professional manner to ensure healthy, long term professional relationships.
- Manage up to 4 Senior Keeper staff responsible for 4 different animal sections.
- Assist with the management of a further 4 full-time (including 2 junior trainees), 4 part-time and 4 casual staff in the Animal Care Unit.
- Assisting with the co-ordinating and supervision of between 30 and 40 volunteers.
To succeed in this role, you will need:
- Minimum 3 years in a similar role.
- A minimum Certificate IV in Captive Animals and other certificates relevant to the role.
- Advanced knowledge of native, exotic and domestic animal husbandry legislation
- High level of communication skills for people leadership, team building, staff mentoring and external stakeholder interactions
- 7 day a week availability including weekends, public holidays and school holidays
- Applicant must be fit for physical work, enthusiastic, mature-minded, confident, well presented and able to demonstrate a high level of work ethic and initiative
- Experience in the development, documentation and implementation of policies procedures and guidelines relating to animal husbandry, safe work practices, training and conditioning programs.
Email your resume and a separate covering letter outlining how you meet the above criteria to the Director: email@example.com