Employment Status – Casual
At Adelaide and Monarto Zoo, we’re proud to welcome more than half a million people through our gates each year and we’re not slowing down. With the roll out of our 20-Year Master Plan and a number of exciting projects on the horizon, we’re thrilled to be expanding and evolving our workforce to position us for continued growth into the future.
ABOUT THE ROLE…
Zoos SA is looking for experienced, motivated and enthusiastic keepers to register their interest for casual work at Monarto Zoo working across a 7 day roster.
The successful applicants will be responsible for the daily husbandry aspects of their relevant rounds and must be motivated, organised, have great time management and show a desire to encourage this section to strive for corporate goals and objectives.
As part of our Life Sciences team, day to day tasks may include:
- Obtain, prepare and provide food to animals in accordance with established diets, feeding schedules and procedures.
- Clean food and water vessels, holding areas, exhibits and food preparation and storage areas to required standards, ensure animal areas are maintained free of debris and hazardous materials.
- Provide animals with nesting and bedding materials and other items required to meet their behavioural requirements
- Observe and report on animal behaviour and changes to the condition of animals.
- Maintain diaries and animal records and report matters of interest to the Senior Keeper.
- Participating in the implementation and monitoring of behavioural enrichment and training and conditioning programs to affect animal behaviour and allow routine examinations and procedures without distress
- Undertaking informal presentations and ‘Keeper Talks’, presenting to public groups and responding to questions.
- Working consistently in accordance with established safety procedures to ensure animal security, personal safety, protection of coworkers and the public.
- Working in line with relevant Policy and Procedures/Standard Operating Procedures and providing feedback and proactive suggestions for change as required.
To be considered for these positions you will need to meet the following selection criteria:
- Practical experience in an animal related role
- Knowledge and understanding of Workplace Health & Safety principles and process.
- Ability to deliver informative and engaging presentations that relay our conservation messaging.
- High level of communication and interpersonal skills with peers, staff, volunteers and public.
HOW TO APPLY…
Please complete the requested work history & education information on the application page, attach your resume and any certificates in the education section. This will assist us in assessing your suitability for this role.
If you have a strong passion in animal welfare, species conservation, and an eagerness to support the operation of a major zoo’s keeping team, we would love to hear from you!
Please visit the Careers section of the Zoos SA website to apply.