This partnership program between Greening Australia and Zoos Victoria has been developed to support schools to complete the Biodiversity module in the ResourceSmart Australian Sustainable Schools Initiative – Victoria (AuSSI Vic).
The program has been designed to enable schools to complete actions under each of the key areas: curriculum; school grounds; whole school engagement; and community links to achieve certification for completion of the Biodiversity module.
The Biodiversity in Your School program offers schools a three part package that will:
- connect students to the biodiversity that exists within their school grounds and local area
- develop deeper understandings of the importance of maintaining and enhancing biodiversity
- inspire and facilitate on-going action to create and maintain habitats that are diverse and rich in indigenous species
Zoos Victoria provides a visit to Melbourne Zoo, Healesville Sanctuary or Werribee Open Range Zoo to inspire and engage students and teachers (with full curriculum support). Greening Australia provides access to community links and on-ground action.
The full program includes:
- a habitat survey and biodiversity action plan for your school grounds
- student fieldwork at the zoo and school through the use of a habitat assessment tool
- selecting and researching a school animal icon
- engaging the whole school through teacher professional learning
- links to local community groups to extend the learning into the community.