Sydney Zoo is a new, large metropolitan Zoo currently under construction in Western Sydney with an expected opening date set for mid 2019. Sydney Zoo will showcase a broad range of native and exotic animals using modern technology and advanced exhibit design with a strong focus on animal welfare and conservation, educating our visitors about animals and their habitats. Environmental and social awareness also plays a vital role in our messaging, focusing on indigenous culture and human influence on the environment.
This is an outstanding opportunity to be part of an exciting new zoo in the role of Aquatics Senior Keeper utilising your skills in an area that you are genuinely passionate about. The role will commence in April 2019.
Reporting to the Aquatics Curator, the Senior Keeper will be responsible for cleaning and maintenance of exhibits and the husbandry and welfare for the animals within your area as well as supervision of general keepers, junior keepers and volunteers.
Skills, Knowledge and Relevant Experience
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in a zoo or relevant/equivalent industry.
- Extensive experience in the welfare and management of aquatic animals.
- Strong customer service skills.
- Extensive experience in the management of aquatic animals and other taxa as required.
- Driver’s licence (the ability to drive a manual vehicle – desirable)
- Scuba diving licence (or ability to obtain)
- Demonstrated commitment to the conservation of species and ecosystems.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the demonstrated ability to work independently or positively contribute to a team environment.
- Demonstrated ability to manage a small team including setting directions, monitoring work, supervising staff, providing feedback, managing performance and assisting the Senior Team to resolve grievances if required.
- Proven ability in carrying out daily keeping duties to a high standard ensuring all husbandry and welfare needs are met.
- Recognised qualifications in captive animal management and/or zoology/biology or equivalent experience (desirable).
To apply for this position please visit the Sydney Zoo Website Career Page
http://www.sydneyzoo.com/careers/ and click on the advertised position. Applications close 5pm 22nd March 2019.
Applicants will be required to provide a current resume and a covering letter outlining your ability to meet the above selection requirements. Please include two referees in your application including a recent supervisor or manager.
Please direct any requests for further information to email@example.com.
Sydney Zoo is committed to the principles and practices of Equal Employment Opportunity and Cultural Diversity.