Our dream is to ignite a Zoo revolution. Wellington Zoo is a team of powerfully passionate individuals who are champions for the welfare of all animals – within and beyond the boundaries of the Zoo. We are supported by a community that actively takes part in our commitment to caring for and saving species locally, nationally and globally.
We are guided by the ethos Me Tiaki, Kia Ora! We must look after our environment, so all things will flourish. We lead the way in modelling sustainable behaviours, and it is up to us collectively to make a difference for animals and the wild places they call home.
We have the opportunity for a permanent full time Animal Care Manager role within our Animal Care and Science team. The ability to think strategically and holistically with respect to the delivery of zoo based outcomes is a critical requirement for this role. This role reports directly to the General Manager Animal Care and Science.
The role is responsible for overall leadership and effective management of the four husbandry sections in our Animal Care Team, and ensuring that we lead the way with the highest standards of husbandry skills, animal welfare outcomes, species management planning and innovative habitat design for the animals in our care. The role will play a critical role in managing the training and ongoing professional development of Animal Care Team Leaders and Keeping staff, in leading initiatives and experiences that inspire our visitors, and supporting the Zoo’s strategic priorities
The successful applicant will have:
- Tertiary or other relevant qualification in biology, animal behaviour or a related field, combined with a minimum of six years’ relevant experience.
- Comprehensive knowledge of zoo based strategies and policies and procedures with combined with extensive experience in animal husbandry, and management
- Demonstrated experience in species management and habitat design and maintenance
- Sound knowledge of the Five Domains of Animal Welfare.
- Research and project management skills and the ability to solve problems and embrace new and innovative techniques, technologies and ways of doing things.
- Highly developed interpersonal and communication skills, with proven ability to develop effective working relationships and lead and develop staff in a multi-disciplined team.
To apply for this opportunity you must have the legal right to work in New Zealand. To view the job description and apply online please visit our website – www.wellingtonzoo.com/careers
Download Job Description >> Animal Care Manager February 2019
Applications close end of business 29 April 2019